Monday, August 3, 2009

Crockett, TX; where Davy had his gallbladder taken out

(The parents visit; just before an entertaining show by the Gillett Brothers... folk artists extraoridnare from NYC)


Hello Family and Friends,

Being elbow deep in people's insides is a crazy experience! Mom, don't worry; my elbows get washed every night. :)

Quick overview of my time in Crockett, TX:
I am here for 2 months to learn from 2 surgeons who have practiced in this small town for years. Their rural practice is very diverse and I get to participate in many of the cases. Surgeons often have a notorious reputation for their gruffness/coldness/meanness towards students... but my attendings are very kind, fun and great educators. They have provided the rotating students, like myself, with a house next door to the hospital, and I get to eat for free in the cafeteria. The lunch ladies and I have a ball! Every day I throw on my scrubs, pull on some foot covers and don a surgeons cap for work, very different garb than I'm used to. (I don't really use this machine, the nurses do all the hard work; but I do like to pretend :)

My dad turned a wonderful 51 years last weekend and we spent it out on Houston County Lake.... searching for monster panfish. My flyrod needed some dusting off, but she got the job done alright... 4 fish later. By the way, my dad is cool; my aunts kept on telling me that when I was growing up, and lately I am agreeing with them more and more. Ken knows how to chill out on the lake [when he gets the chance to], set up a fishing rig for bottom fishing, sail a catamaran, take a big sigh of contentment after a long cold swig of some non-alcoholic beverage [probably a sonic slush], laugh when the laughing is contagious and buckle down to work before the trees say goodmorning to big Mr. Yellow. He loves Jesus and his actions don't contradict it[with-in mortal limits]. I could have just said, "I love my dad!", but us Aggies need a little extra explaining;)
(my cousin, Jeremy, and I in boats)

Dad and Jeremy did a little Humpty Dumpty off their canoe... twice!!! Fortunately for them, the lake was dehydrated. (Daddio and Jeremy in the muck)

OK, just a quick note before bedtime. Next time I'd like to share some peoms about my experiences in surgery... so If I forget, please remind me.

~drew
osteopathic medical student

No comments:

Post a Comment